Wednesday, June 1, 2011

In My Herb Garden #2

Eastern Black Swallowtail Caterpillar

The other day when I made my morning rounds of my gardens I spied this little guy munching away on my dill plants. It's a Eastern Black Swallowtail caterpillar. I only have two dill plants, because I have a small herb garden. My dilemma, do I leave him alone or do I remove him. The only thing these caterpillars eat are dill, fennel, parsley and rue. Well out of those I only have dill. So when I found that out moving him wasn't an option anymore. My friend said I should leave him and she would let me have any dill seeds I want. So I decided to just enjoy watching him eat my dill and grow. Maybe I will even see him when he becomes a beautiful butterfly!!!


Ruby Jean said...

Oh what a great shot you got of him..Your should get one of those Butterfly Houses where you can watch them cacoon..

Lesley said...

Awww you kind hearted gardener lol! I love dill - especially with fish!

Zoechaos said...

Smashing picture, the wonder of wildlife so good of your friend to share her seeds with you so this handsome chappie can eat XOXO Zoe

Donna said...

I noticed that this morning he had started his pre-pupa stage, I will get pictures this afternoon when the sun is not so bright.